In this age of Instagram and selfies, we all want a beautiful and confident smile which we can sport to get everyone’s likes and attention. So, when we do not have the perfect smile, what can we do? In order to get the perfect smile, we can take the help of cosmetic dentistry. The advancement in dentistry has led to the rise of cosmetic dentistry in this modern era. There are a number of options which we can choose to have a beautiful smile which we can showcase. Whether your teeth are stained, discolored, worn, chipped, broken, misaligned, misshapen, or have gaps between them, a smile makeover can help you move past them.
Cosmetic dentistry deals with two dental specialties dealing in dental aesthetics which are prosthodontics and orthodontics. Cosmetic dentistry is not just science it is more of an art of dentistry. Some options, however, not only bring aesthetic changes but also has restorative benefits such as dental filling which also treats decayed teeth.
Some of the options for cosmetic dentistry are:
- Cosmetic teeth whitening: It is also known as teeth bleaching. This is primarily done to brighten and whiten your teeth from discoloration and/or staining. We can get this procedure done in the dental office or at home. Everyone wants a bright smile. However, it is important to check with the dentist before going for cosmetic teeth whitening because not everyone’s teeth can be bleached.
- Cosmetic dental veneers: Veneers are thin shells made out of porcelain or composite material. They are custom made and are cemented to the front side of the tooth. A veneer can be used to treat dental conditions such as a slightly crooked tooth, discolored teeth, chipped teeth or even cover spaces in between the teeth. This is one of the conservative approaches taken to change a tooth’s color or shape when to procedures such as crowns, however once done this process is not reversible.
- Cosmetic dental implants: A dental implant is a metal device designed to replace missing teeth. The device is usually made out of titanium and is surgically placed into the jawbone when the tooth is missing. Unlike a dental bridge, an implant is permanent. A dental implant is designed to act as the tooth root and can anchor an artificial tooth or teeth such as a crown, bridge, or denture. When done successfully no one can notice whether a dental implant procedure has been done or not and the patient also will feel this just like their natural teeth.
- Cosmetic dental crowns: Crowns or caps are custom-made to fit over your whole tooth after the cosmetic dentist has prepared it. They are usually made out of acrylic or porcelain that has been fused to metal to withstand biting pressure. Crowns can be used in cosmetic dentistry to treat teeth that are poorly shaped, badly decayed, broken, chipped, have had large fillings, or to cover spaces in between teeth and last up to 15 years.
- Cosmetic teeth shaping: Also called enamel shaping because the dentist reshapes the tooth by filing or removing some of the enamel. This process is not painful and can produce immediate effects. It is generally used to correct small imperfections such as uneven teeth or teeth that are slightly overcrowded.
- Cosmetic tooth bonding: Bonding is the process in which tooth-colored materials are adhered to the tooth to improve a person’s smile. This is a procedure that can be used to repair or improve the appearance of a tooth that has been badly stained, broken, or chipped. This is one of the easiest and least expensive treatments available.
- Cosmetic Orthodontic treatment: These days orthodontics is also been done by adults for cosmetic purposes. If you have a bucked tooth or crooked teeth, you should check with your dentist if an orthodontist can help you or not.
- Inlays and Onlays: Inlays and Onlays, also called indirect fillings, are made from gold, porcelain, or composite materials and fill decayed or damaged teeth. Dental fillings are molded into place during an office visit; however, inlays and onlays are created in a dental laboratory and bonded into place by your dentist. The filling is called an “inlay” when the material is bonded within the center of a tooth; it is called an “onlay” when the filling includes one or more points of the tooth or covers the biting surface. Inlays and Onlays preserve as much healthy tooth as possible and are an alternative to crowns.
Since there are a number of options or procedures, it would be wise to visit your dentist tell him what outcome you desire. He would be the best person to guide you knowing your medical history, out of all the possible options. The first and foremost step for any cosmetic changes would be to have healthy teeth and your dentist will first work on that and move ahead to give you the smile you need.
Cosmetic dentistry is a small step to have a big boost to your appearance, confidence, self-esteem and make you want to smile more. At Dr. Mohamed Ali’s practice, we give the patient the best care possible from the tremendously talented and caring staff. During the initial visit, Dr. Mohamed Ali will thoroughly examine your mouth and will use your digital x-rays to support his findings. He will present different options and also advise you on the best option, suited for you. The billing experts will check your benefits and present a complete treatment plan with the financial arrangements. We will be happy to answer all your questions. So just sit, relax and let us bring a smile you need on your face. To schedule your free consultation, call us at 415.391.7751.