Cosmetic teeth shaping is a form of cosmetic dentistry technique that redefines the shape, length, or surface of one or more teeth by removing enamel (small amounts of the outer covering of the tooth). Even though this kind of tooth reshaping or dental contouring deals with minor changes of the teeth, but sometimes these subtle changes make a big difference in one’s life. Tooth shaping deals with slight imperfections in most patients by offering an improved smile and healthy oral hygiene. Patients who wish to have straighter and more evenly shaped teeth can benefit by trimming their overlapping teeth slightly, reducing the length of a tooth, and correcting irregularly shaped teeth followed by teeth polishing.
Cosmetic teeth reshaping is also known as odontoblasts or enameloplasty, which fixes up various dental issues, including chipped, cracked or crooked teeth, uneven or poorly aligned teeth to create a more attractive smile. Teeth shaping can be combined with dental bonding when a tooth needs more work than contouring will allow. Both contouring and bonding are among the most prevalent cosmetic dentistry options being least time-consuming and affordable.
What Is The Procedure Of Contouring And Teeth Shaping?
The dental professional needs to examine the patient thoroughly to determine if the patient is an ideal candidate for the treatment. This includes X-rays to study the size and location of the tooth’s pulp. If the teeth are healthy enough, the dentist will schedule the procedure. Cosmetic teeth shaping takes around 30 minutes, depending on the amount of work to be done. First of all, the dentist will use a pencil or pen to highlight the areas of teeth which need to be sculptured. And the best part of the treatment is, it needs no pain medications or numbing agents because the patient can’t feel any pain in the enamel. Enamels are made up of minerals, and there are no underlying blood vessels or nerves, it has no sensation. Various tools are used here to reshape the teeth with a uniform appearance. And the dentist usually advises the patient to brush at least twice a day, floss daily, and to maintain regular dental check-ups.
Benefits Of Teeth Shaping:
- It is a conservative method to alter the appearance of the teeth
- It is painless because only the surface enamel is removed in tooth reshaping and dental contouring, there is hardly any discomfort during the procedure, and no anesthesia is required.
- Improves the health of teeth.
- It is an excellent replacement for braces, as they make teeth look a little straighter and eliminate minor overlapping.
- After the treatment, the patient can immediately get back to his normal routine.
- The average cost comes between $50 to $300 per tooth and also insurance may reduce the price if it is due to an accident or trauma.
- Tooth reshaping can lower the risk of decay and gum disease from tartar and plaque build-up.
Limitations Of Teeth Shaping
- Teeth may become temporarily sensitive after the treatment.
- Contouring and reshaping is limited to little modifications.
- If the problem has initially been due to grinding, a re